Sunday, June 1, 2014

Guess That Roadkill!

Welcome to Guess That Roadkill!

The rules are simple. Look at the skulls I have compiled over my time in Alabama. Comment below with the correct scientific name of the species. For example, #1 is a white tail deer, you should write "Odocoileus virginianus." I know most of you don't know the scientific names, but it's 2014. Google them. You only get one try, unless everyone gets them wrong, then we can have another round. If you want a better angle of one of the skulls, comment and I will take a better picture.

If you are the first to get all of them right, you not only get bragging rights but, I will send you a signed copy of Stupid Alabama. If you already have a copy and don't want another, I will send you a signed picture of my butt.

For those of you wondering where I got these lovely skulls, they were all found by me or my friends (most as roadkill). None of them were killed on purpose. One more rule - Roger and Lenora are not allowed to play due to their prior knowledge, and if they whine about it I will happily send them a signed picture of my butt.

If you have trouble posting a comment (which is apparently common), let me know and I will see what I can do.

1.


2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.


14 comments:

  1. 1. Odocoileus virginianus
    2. Felis catus ???
    3. I think I'm going to kick myself but I'm stumped...Vulpes vulpes ???
    4. Lontra canadensis
    5. Didelphis virginianus
    6. Dasypus novemcinctus
    7. Alligator mississippiensis
    8. Lynx rufus
    9. Didelphis virginianus again???

    ReplyDelete
  2. my best answers
    1. odocileus
    2.lynx rufus
    3.urocyon cinereoargenteus
    4. didelphimorphia
    5.canis latrans or (lupus)
    6.cingulata
    7.allgator mississippiensis
    8.procyonlotor
    9.sus scrofa

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. lost it's virginianus some how?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey can I have that Coke when you are done? No need to wipe off the top or anything....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are both really close. I'll give a hint. Each skull is from a different species.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK-I'm changing my #5 to Canis latrans. What was throwing me off the first time is that the lower jaw angles up and I wasn't used to that. But I googled some other pictures and see now that this species does look like that. I am on the fence about #2 and think it could be Procyon lotor but I need a sideview to change my answer. I am also on the fence about #3 but I had to pick either Vulpes vulpes or Urocyon cineargentus. Rolling the dice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Meeghan Bell: 1. Odocoileus virginianus 2. Procyon lotor 3. Vulpes vulpes 4. Lontra canadensis 5. Canis latrans 6. Dasypus novemcinctus 7. Alligator mississippiensis 8. Felis catus 9. Didelphis virginianus

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Odocoileus virginianus
    2. Procyon lotor
    3. Urocyon cinereoargenteus
    4. Lontra canadensis
    5. Canis latrans
    6. Dasypus novemcinctus
    7. Alligator mississippienses
    8. Lynx rufus
    9. Didelphis virginiana

    ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1- Odocoileus virginianus
    2- Procyon lotor
    3- Vulpes vulpes
    4- Mephitis mephitis
    5- Canis latrans
    6- Dasypus novemcinctus
    7- Alligator mississippiesis
    8- Felis catus
    9- Didelphis virginiana

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far Helen is in the lead with 7. I also owe David another angle of #2.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, everybody. Sorry for the delay. Lets have round 2! I'm guessing that some of the previous answers will give some pretty good hints. So have at it. The first person to get the list correct and in order gets the prizes mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely. You already have my book, so I can only assume you want a picture of my butt. I will pop it in the mail tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete